In rest, we accomplish things that we just can’t do when we are awake and bombarded with information. There is an unconscious processes that we undergo in rest that allows us to live to our highest potential when we are awake. Put simply, in rest we recover and rejuvenate in mind and body. Check out these benefits of relaxing.
Here are 8 easy ways to relax and energize your mind
1. Doing things that make you happy:It’s crazy how easy it is to allow ourselves to get sucked into things we find uninspiring or don’t care about. Start consciously making decisions that are in alignment with what makes you happy.
2. Alternate nostril breathing: There are tons of benefits associated with this and it is considerably convenient to fit into your life as far as time. Some benefits include improvements in brain functionality, calming of the nervous system and cleansing of the lungs. Check out this article to learn more about the benefits as well as how to do it.
3. Meditation:Research has shown that meditation causes an increase of grey matter in the brain which is linked to more positive emotions, emotional stability and increased focus. Benefits also include decreased stress and anxiety, increased creativity, increased compassion & better memory.
4. Yoga: Yoga is a really great way to bring meditation and movement into your life with the same benefits as mentioned above as well as many physical benefits. If you need a flow to get your started, check out this yoga sequence to help you unwind from the day.
5. Diet & Hydration:You are what you eat. When we put things in our body that are generally harmful (like sugar & alcohol) or that you are personally allergic to, we make little battle zones in our bodies. Toxins are released creating havoc on our digestive systems, chemical imbalances and inflammation. On the other hand when we eat in harmony with what works for our specific bodies, our energy is efficiently used in digestion and repairing our bodies.
6. Napping:Some great minds throughout history are known to be nappers such as Winston Churchill, Napoleon, Albert Einstein and Thomas Edison. If that doesn’t give you an excuse to catch a few mid day zzz’s consider some other scientifically proven benefits of napping done right:
- Increased reaction time
- Improved mood
- Decreased feelings of sleepiness & fatigue
- Decreased stress
- Aids in weight management.
7. Acupuncture:This beautiful healing art form that dates back moons ago. Acupuncture works to remove disruptions in qi, or chi (energy flow)in the body. Some of the benefits seen by acupuncture include easing lower back pain, soothing indigestion, counter acting negative effects of cancer treatment, reliving every day aches, recovery and more.
8. Massage:Very similar to a yoga practice or an acupuncture treatment, a great massage will help increase the body’s energy flow leaving you with a more open mind and body.